Music Studio of Carly Walton
STUDIO POLICY and Calendar
I am so thrilled that you are considering piano lessons! This may well be the key to years of pleasure and accomplishment for you as you open the door to the universal language of music! In order to ensure that your student receives the most effective and creative teaching possible, I have established the following policies to help you as you make the commitment to beginning (or continuing) keyboard instruction.
Private lessons are held weekly. View the attached schedule for lesson dates and blocked lesson dates.
Lessons are thirty minutes with the option of increasing to 45 minutes for intermediate or advanced students.
Payment and Tuition
There are 37 weekly piano lessons scheduled from August through May. Some months have fewer lessons than others, tuition remains that same from month to month. Tuition is divided into 10 equal monthly installments, due on or before the 1st of each month. Late payments will incur a late fee of $1 for each day late. Tuition may be paid via cash/check, automatic check using your bank’s online bill pay, or credit card/debit card via Paypal.
Your tuition guarantees that I will teach 37 private lessons between the months of August to May.
- Yearly tuition for 30 minute lessons- $950. Monthly payments $95.
- Yearly tuition for 45 minute lessons- $1,406. Monthly payments $140.
(if you are participating in the Arizona Study Program, you must have 45 minute weekly lessons.)
Travel cost for at home lessons
If my schedule allows teaching your family at your home is a possibility. There is an additional $80 monthly charge per family (not per student) for me to come to the home for lessons. Families who live more than 7 miles away will have an adjusted rate to accommodate for distance. For me to come either 3 students from the home need to be taking lessons or 2 students with 45 minute lessons.
Every student stops taking lesson at some point. Ideally, this decision is made thoughtfully with plenty of discussion between the teacher, parent, and student so that lessons can cease with a positive sense of closure. For this reason, the teacher asks for one month’s notice prior to discontinuing lessons. However, the teacher respects the student’s right to end lessons at any time. No refunds for the current month of lessons will be given. Note: At the discretion of the teacher, students may be dismissed at any time if they have unpaid tuition, an excess amount of absences/unprepared lessons, or if they show a lack of interest.
Cancellations and makeup lessons
- Because speciﬁc times are set aside for speciﬁc students, a student who does not attend a lesson will simply forfeit the beneﬁt of that lesson. I will then use that time to plan for the student’s progress, locate materials, etc. My teaching schedule is very full and for this reason I cannot offer refunds, discounts or makeups unless I am unable to teach the promised number of lessons. When possible I will accommodate for one makeup lesson per semester, this will typically take place on a saturday morning or a weekday evening. I can’t promise makeup lessons as it depends on my schedule.
- Using Facetime, or Skype are great alternatives to a lesson absence due to weather, illness, or another circumstance.
- Please feel free to contact me via email, phone, or text for any questions or concerns! If you need to miss a lesson, please notify me as soon as possible. I appreciate your communication!
Master Classes and Piano Recitals
- Master classes are optional but greatly beneficial to all students. These classes are held on saturday mornings. Master classes help students gain performance experience, concert etiquette, and receive input/feedback from other students. These classes are a great preparation for recitals!
- Recitals will be held in December and May. Dates for the classes and recitals are on the studio calendar.
- Additional piano recitals and competitions through the Arizona Study program are available. Please talk to me if you are interested in more information.
- Students should bring a 1” 3 ring binder and notebook to their lessons.
- Students will need new books and materials throughout the year. Parents will be notified when the student needs new books, they can be purchased by the teacher or by the parent. Books can be purchased at Milanos or through Amazon.com
- Every student needs a metronome as well as a piano or weighted keyboard.
Practice and Commitment
- Regular practice is imperative to learn how to play proﬁciently. A minimum of 30-45 minutes of practice, 5 days a week is required. Participation in the spring and winter recitals is required, but festivals and competitions are optional.
- Parents are encouraged to observe piano lessons at least once a month to understand what is required of the student for practicing. Parent’s who observe are better able to help with practice during the week.
- The role of a parent is perhaps the most important one in their music education. Parent’s should look over weekly assignments with the child and help in learning songs when possible. The parent and child together are responsible in making sure that the student is prepared for each weekly lesson. For new beginners this means the parent will need to sit with the child as they go over songs, exercises, theory, scales, flashcards, etc… It will be very difficult for a student learn without the support of a parent or guardian.
Pictures or videos of music students may be posted on my website or included in studio publications unless speciﬁcally requested not to do so by the parents.
Please sign and complete the enrollment form to schedule piano lessons
August 5th- Lessons begin
October 12-16 October Break no lessons
November 25-27 Thanksgiving no lessons
December 5th- Master Class
December 19th- Piano Studio Holiday Recital
December 21st- January 1st No lessons winter break
January 4th- Lessons resume
March 27th- Master Class
March 14-18 No Lessons- Spring Break
May 14th- Piano Studio Spring Recital
May 20th- Last day of lessons